Bright Light Education runs Creative Writing Courses in EALING, CHISWICK and ONLINE throughout the year.
We are thrilled to be running courses for Years 1 – 6 children.
Please read the information below for our 9-11 year old course.
For creative writing courses for younger children, please contact us directly.
- We run a comprehensive 12-week course for children, aged 9-11, who want to improve their creative writing skills.
- The course takes place during term-time only.
- Each weekly session is 1.5 hours long.
- There is a maximum of 6 children in the class.
- We run the courses in Ealing and Chiswick.
- We also run the courses online.
- £450 per 12-week “face-to-face” course, which includes the Creative Writing Skills book to accompany the course and other weekly materials.
- £312 for the online course, which includes the Creative Writing Skills book. Other resources will be available online.
CREATIVE WRITING COURSE DETAILS:
- In the first six sessions, we focus on learning different skills or techniques, including mastering figurative language, using the Show Don’t Tell technique, and learning how to build suspense effectively.
- In the second six sessions, we focus on learning how to structure a story, including how to create powerful story starters, character and setting descriptions, and how to develop the storyline.
CREATIVE WRITING BOOK:
- The Creative Writing Skills book is used during the course to accompany the sessions, but is also an excellent standalone resource on creative writing and only costs £12.99.
CREATIVE WRITING COURSE DATES
**The classes in Ealing and Chiswick are currently postponed, due to COVID-19. We look forward to running them in the future, as soon as we are advised by the Government that it is safe to do so**.
Fridays 4.30 – 6pm
Harp Road, W7 (full address given upon booking)
Thursdays 4.30 – 6pm
Children’s Wellness Centre, Chiswick
Online Creative Writing Courses are running all throughout the Summer Term 2020 and during the summer holidays.
The dates for the 12 session summer holiday course are:
Saturday 25th July (9-10.30am)
Monday 27th July (9-10.30am)
Thursday 30th July (9-10.30am)
Monday 3rd August (9-10.30am)
Thursday 6th August (9-10.30am)
Monday 10th August (9-10.30am)
Thursday 13th August (9-10.30am)
Monday 17th August (9-10.30am)
Thursday 20th August (9-10.30am)
Monday 24th August (9-10.30am)
Thursday 27th August (9-10.30am)
Monday 31st August (9-10.30am)
“My daughter attended the 12 week Creative Writing course and thoroughly enjoyed it. Her writing came on tremendously and I love that she saw it as a fun activity to go to rather than what is basically English tuition is small groups. The creative writing text book which goes with the course is great and between that and the course her writing is now a pleasure to read. She loved her course tutor as well and looked forward to going each week. I would highly recommend this course to all children between age 9 and 11 and I will definitely consider sending my son when he is the right age for the course.”
“My daughter has transitioned to the online creative writing lessons easily. The lessons are stimulating and she is always engaged with her learning. The Zoom platform makes it easy for all participants to contribute to the discussions and to share their ideas. Using on screen slides the children can follow the course and can also email their writing to the course tutor to provide further feedback. I highly recommend this creative writing course.”
“I wanted to let you know how thrilled I am at the progress [my son] is making with his writing doing your course. This week he had to complete a piece of writing for school and sat down to it without any meltdown no fuss and wrote a great piece using all the skills you have taught and was very excited with the result – reading me out various descriptive sentences. Honestly it’s the best result of lock down for me..”
“A big thanks to all of you. [My son] is so pleased and excited after his Creative Writing lesson. That was the first time when he was so relaxed and excited since he started taking online classes during lockdown. Thank you so much for your help.”
Creative Writing Skills is designed for any child striving to develop their creative writing skills. It is particularly aimed at Key Stage Two children, as well as those sitting an entrance school examination such as the 11 plus. The book is a combination of textbook and workbook. After learning about each technique, there is an activity for the child to work through, to consolidate their understanding.
“The Creative Writing book is a brilliant way to reinforce creative writing skills and, importantly, these books provide an insight for parents and kids as to what examiners expect. The book clearly explains the needed skills in a simple and clear way that kids can remember, like using the mnemonic – SHAMPOOP, which my son now remembers every time he writes. I would highly recommend these books for 11 plus and independent school preparation.” (Shabana)
“Everything you need to write a great story! All done in a really fun, accessible way. Creative Writing Skills is really starting to help my son make sense of what’s felt like an insurmountable task. A huge ‘thank you’!” (Adele)
£12.99 plus £2.50 p&p. Also available to purchase from Pitshanger Book Shop, Ealing.