Bright Light Education runs Creative Writing Courses at various locations in London throughout the year.
- We run a 12-week course for children, aged 9-13, who want to improve their creative writing skills.
- The course is split into two 6-week blocks, ‘Course 1‘ and ‘Course 2‘. They take place during term-time only.
- We recommend that your child attends the Course 1 before attending Course 2.
- Each weekly session is 1.5 hours long.
- There are 6 children maximum in the class.
- We run the courses across West London. See below for more details.
- £190 per 6-week course, which includes the Creative Writing Skills book to accompany the course.
CREATIVE WRITING COURSE 1:
- In the first six-week course, we focus on learning different skills or techniques, including mastering figurative language, using the Show Don’t Tell technique, and learning how to build suspense effectively.
CREATIVE WRITING COURSE 2:
- In the second six-week course, we focus on learning how to structure a story, including how to create powerful story starters, character and setting descriptions, and how to develop the storyline.
- Parents will be sent payment details directly after completing Course 1.
CREATIVE WRITING BOOK:
- The Creative Writing Skills book is used during both courses to accompany the sessions. It’s included free with each course but is also an excellent standalone resource on creative writing and only costs £10.99.
CREATIVE WRITING COURSE DATES
FRIDAYS (9-11 yr olds)
COURSE 1: 10/1/19 | 17/1/19 | 24/1/20 | 31/1/20 | 7/2/20 | 14/2/20
COURSE 2: 28/2/20 | 6/3/20 | 13/3/20 | 20/3/20 | 27/3/20 | 3/4/20
4.15 – 5.45pm
Harp Road, W7 (full address given upon booking)
*If you are interested in booking the Creative Writing Course on another day, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
(9-13 yr olds)
COURSE 1: January 2020 dates coming soon.
COURSE 2: Dates coming soon.
4.15 – 5.45pm.
To be confirmed.
*Please contact email@example.com to register your interest.
Creative Writing Skills is designed for any child striving to develop their creative writing skills. It is particularly aimed at Key Stage Two children, as well as those sitting an entrance school examination such as the 11 plus. The book is a combination of textbook and workbook. After learning about each technique, there is an activity for the child to work through, to consolidate their understanding.
“The Creative Writing book is a brilliant way to reinforce creative writing skills and, importantly, these books provide an insight for parents and kids as to what examiners expect. The book clearly explains the needed skills in a simple and clear way that kids can remember, like using the mnemonic – SHAMPOOP, which my son now remembers every time he writes. I would highly recommend these books for 11 plus and independent school preparation.” (Shabana)
“Everything you need to write a great story! All done in a really fun, accessible way. Creative Writing Skills is really starting to help my son make sense of what’s felt like an insurmountable task. A huge ‘thank you’!” (Adele)
£10.99 plus £2.50 p&p. Also available to purchase from Pitshanger Book Shop, Ealing.