Bright Light Education runs Creative Writing Courses in EALING, CHISWICK, BALHAM and ONLINE throughout the year.
- We run a comprehensive 12-week course for children, aged 9-11, who want to improve their creative writing skills.
- The course takes place during term-time only.
- Each weekly session is 1.5 hours long.
- There is a maximum of 6 children in the class.
- We run the courses in Ealing, Balham and Chiswick.
- We also run the courses online.
- £450 per 12-week course, which includes the Creative Writing Skills book to accompany the course and other weekly materials.
- £300 for the online course, which includes the Creative Writing Skills book. Other resources will be emailed.
CREATIVE WRITING COURSE DETAILS:
- In the first six sessions, we focus on learning different skills or techniques, including mastering figurative language, using the Show Don’t Tell technique, and learning how to build suspense effectively.
- In the second six sessions, we focus on learning how to structure a story, including how to create powerful story starters, character and setting descriptions, and how to develop the storyline.
CREATIVE WRITING BOOK:
- The Creative Writing Skills book is used during the course to accompany the sessions, but is also an excellent standalone resource on creative writing and only costs £12.99.
CREATIVE WRITING COURSE DATES
**The classes in Ealing, Chiswick and Balham are currently postponed, due to COVID-19. We look forward to running them in the future, as soon as we are advised by the Government that it is safe to do so**.
Fridays 4.30 – 6pm
Harp Road, W7 (full address given upon booking)
16/4/20 | 18/4/20 | 23/4/20 | 25/4/20 | 30/4/20 | 2/5/20 | 7/5/20 | 9/5/20 | 14/5/20 | 16/5/20 | 21/5/20 | 23/5/20
Thursdays and Saturdays 9 – 10.30am (NB: If school resumes, then the Thursday sessions will be moved to Saturdays and the course length will be extended).
Online (via Zoom)
18/4/20 | 25/4/20 | 2/5/20 | 9/5/20 | 16/5/20 | 23/5/20 | 30/5/20
HALF TERM (6/6/20)
13/6/20 | 20/6/20 | 27/6/20 | 4/7/20 | 11/7/20
Saturdays 11am – 12.30pm
Online (via Zoom)
Creative Writing Skills is designed for any child striving to develop their creative writing skills. It is particularly aimed at Key Stage Two children, as well as those sitting an entrance school examination such as the 11 plus. The book is a combination of textbook and workbook. After learning about each technique, there is an activity for the child to work through, to consolidate their understanding.
“The Creative Writing book is a brilliant way to reinforce creative writing skills and, importantly, these books provide an insight for parents and kids as to what examiners expect. The book clearly explains the needed skills in a simple and clear way that kids can remember, like using the mnemonic – SHAMPOOP, which my son now remembers every time he writes. I would highly recommend these books for 11 plus and independent school preparation.” (Shabana)
“Everything you need to write a great story! All done in a really fun, accessible way. Creative Writing Skills is really starting to help my son make sense of what’s felt like an insurmountable task. A huge ‘thank you’!” (Adele)
£12.99 plus £2.50 p&p. Also available to purchase from Pitshanger Book Shop, Ealing.