Years 4-6 Comprehension Course
*BOOK NOW FOR SPRING 2024*
Our online Comprehension Course is for years 4-6 children (ages 8-11) and specifically aimed at children taking an 11+ examination. It is separated into 12 one-hour sessions:
– An Introduction to Comprehension (2 weeks)
– Character Analysis (2 weeks)
– Evaluation Questions Part 1 (2 weeks)
– Evaluation Questions Part 2 (2 weeks)
– Poetry (2 weeks)
– Summary (2 weeks)
All course prices are inclusive of VAT. If you are based outside of the UK, the course price (without VAT) will be updated at checkout.
Comprehension Course Details:
Comprehension Sessions 1 and 2: Introduction to Comprehension
- This is an introduction to comprehension where we guide children through strategies of reading the passage and the questions. We look at the different types of question including literal, inference, vocabulary, summary and opinion questions. We will also reinforce the crucial ‘Point, Evidence, Explain’ strategy. The children will have a chance to answer questions from real exam papers, including multiple choice questions, and we will support children in how to answer them, ensuring they are not missing out on gaining easy marks.
Comprehension Sessions 3 and 4: Character Analysis Questions
- During these sessions, we will focus on ‘Character Analysis Questions’ which often come up in exam papers. For example, What impression do we get of Sam from the passage? In these sessions we will learn what is needed to answer these types of question which will include how to answer a character comparison question using specific vocabulary to assist them in structuring their answers well. The children will tackle character analysis questions from real exam papers and look at multiple choice questions too.
Comprehension Sessions 5 and 6: Evaluation Questions Part 1
- These sessions begin to explore the trickiest type of question in comprehension; the dreaded ‘Evaluation Questions’ which crop up time and time again in exam papers. For example, How does the writer make this part of the story exciting? These are often worth lots of marks and take creativity to answer. In these sessions we will look at structural features associated with evaluation questions. The children will practise commenting on structural features from real exam papers; written and multiple choice.
Comprehension Sessions 7 and 8: Evaluation Questions Part 2
- These sessions continue to explore ‘Evaluation Questions’. In these sessions the focus is on language features and the children will learn to identify language features within the passage and learn how to comment on figurative language including similes, metaphors, alliteration and personification. We will explore how to structure written answers as well as attempting multiple choice questions based on these language features.
Comprehension Sessions 9 and 10: Poetry
- Some 11+ exams provide a poetry comprehension and these sessions teach the children how to analyse and evaluate a poem. We will learn to comment on what the poem is about; who the poet is addressing; why the poet is writing the poem and how the poet gets their message across. In addition, we will look at emotions, patterns and themes, as well as identifying the poetic devices used and exploring what effect they have on the reader.
Comprehension Sessions 11 and 12: Summary
- In these sessions, the children work through a comprehension paper, re-capping all the skills covered throughout the course.
- This course takes place online.
- There will be a maximum of 6 children on the course.
- Taught by a qualified and experienced teacher.
- Fully interactive, with homework set and in-depth marking.
- Please email us directly if you would like to pay in two instalments.
- Once booked, places are non-refundable as stated in our Terms and Conditions.
- We have a specific waiting list for children who are eligible for Free-School Meals. If we have spaces on a course, these children will be offered a free space. Contact us if you would like to join this waiting list.
- We engage with self-employed tutors to run our courses on behalf of our business. The tutors running our courses are qualified teachers with exemplary references. The tutors will communicate directly with the clients regarding how they will carry out their service to you, including any details regarding homework. All course tutors hold an Enhanced DBS Certificate and are signed up to the Update Service.
AUTUMN TERM 2023
Time: Sundays, 9-10am
Dates: 17th September 2023, 24th September, 1st October, 8th October, 15th October, 22nd October, 5th November, 12th November, 19th November, 26th November, 3rd December, 10th December.
NB: There is no lesson on the 29th October for the half term holiday.
SPRING TERM 2024
OPTION A: *FULLY BOOKED*
Time: Sundays 9-10am
Dates: 7th January, 14th January, 21st January, 28th January, 4th February, 11th February, 25th February, 3rd March, 10th March, 17th March, 24th March, 31st March.
NB: There is no lesson on the 18th February for the half term holiday.
OPTION A: *BOOK NOW*
Time: Sundays 9-10am
Dates: 7th January, 14th January, 21st January, 28th January, 4th February, 11th February, 18th February 25th February, 3rd March, 10th March, 17th March, 24th March.
NB: There is no break for the half term holiday.