We are thrilled to be launching our new annual Creative Writing Competition for children living in West London.
The competition is open to all children living in West London* from ages 7-13.
*Boroughs include Brent, Ealing, Hammersmith and Fulham, Harrow, Richmond upon Thames, Hillingdon, Hounslow as well as Wandsworth in South London.
Group 1: 7-9 year olds (Year 3 and Year 4 children)
Group 2: 9-11 year olds (Year 5 and Year 6 children)
Group 3: 11-13 year olds (Year 7 and Year 8 children)
The theme of the competition is “London”.
Terms and Conditions:
- The entry must be a fictional short story.
- It must be an original piece of work written independently by the child.
- Stories cannot be written by more than one person. One entry per child allowed.
- Real events from the past or present cannot be included.
- The child must not include their personal details within their story.
- Entries must not include unsuitable material; entries must be suitable for a child audience.
- The word ‘London’ must appear in the title. The rest is up to you!
- It must be no more than 500 words.
How to Enter:
- The story must be submitted by the child’s parent using the link below. At this point, we will require the parent to complete a short form, submitting and approving the entry as well as agreeing to the Terms and Conditions.
- If your child cannot type their story, you are welcome to scan their handwritten story and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please complete the online form as well, using the link below, and add to the form that you have emailed the story separately by email.
- The competition is open from January 31st 2020.
- The deadline for entry submission is midnight April 30th 2020. (NB: Deadline has been extended)
- Prizes include restaurant vouchers to Pizza Express , Pizza House and Wagamama; Questors Theatre tickets; Masquerade Theatre Arts workshop voucher; a voucher for a “Craft-It Party” playdate; a voucher for a Smart Raspberry Cookery workshop; a voucher for Kew Ceramics Cafe, and Oso Arts Centre! The winners from each category will also get their stories published in the next version of our Creative Writing Skills book.
- We will hold a prize-giving event with the finalists and judges at Pitshanger Bookshop in Ealing. Details will be sent to finalists.
The first round will be judged by a selection of creative writing specialists.
We are thrilled to announce that the final round will be judged by local author, Faye Bird. Faye Bird is the author of My Second Life and What I Couldn’t Tell You. Her lastest book is My Secret Lies With You. She is also a Patron of Reading at Elthorne High School.
CREATIVE WRITING COURSES
We run 12-week Creative Writing Courses for children aged 9-13 years. In the first 6-week block, we focus on learning different skills or techniques, including mastering figurative language, using the Show Don’t Tell technique, and learning how to build suspense effectively. In the second 6-week block, we focus on learning how to structure a story, including how to create powerful story starters, character and setting descriptions, and how to develop the storyline.
CREATIVE WRITING BOOK
Creative Writing Skills is designed for any child striving to develop their creative writing skills. It is particularly aimed at Key Stage Two children, as well as those sitting an entrance school examination such as the 11 plus. The book is a combination of textbook and workbook. After learning about each technique, there is an activity for the child to work through, to consolidate their understanding.