*The competition is now closed! Winners will be announced on the 31st May!*
We are thrilled to announce our 3rd annual Creative Writing Competition for children! This year, we are delighted to be collaborating with children’s author, Sam Copeland, as well as Atom Learning – who are kindly offering 15% off during the competition period.
The competition is open to all children who are residents of the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) from ages 7-13 (Years 3-8).
Inspired by Sam Copeland’s wonderful stories, “Charlie Changes into a Chicken”, “Charlie Turns into a T-Rex” and “Charlie Morphs into a Mammoth”, we would like you to write your own 500 word story about the day your character wakes up to discover they have been transformed into something. It could be an animal, another person, anything you like! Create your own character and write your own story about what happens!
Group 1: 7-9 year olds (Years 3 and 4)
Group 2: 9-11 year olds (Years 5 and 6)
Group 3: 11-13 year olds (Years 7 and 8)
The first round will be judged by a selection of creative writing specialists.
Welcome Sam Copeland!
The final round will be judged by children’s author, Sam Copeland.
Charlie Changes Into a Chicken is Sam’s first book. It was followed by the sequel Charlie Turns Into a T-Rex, and the third in the series – Charlie Morphs into a Mammoth – which was published in February 2020.
Uma and the Answer to Absolutely Everything was released in January 2021.
His latest book, Greta and the Ghost Hunters has just been released in January 2022 so grab your copy now!
Terms and Conditions:
- The entry must be a fictional short story.
- It must be an original piece of work written independently by the child.
- Stories cannot be written by more than one person. One entry per child allowed.
- Real events from the past or present cannot be included.
- The child must not include their personal details within their story.
- Entries must not include unsuitable material; entries must be suitable for a child audience.
- The story must be in response to the competition task set.
- It must be no more than 500 words.
How to Enter:
- The story must be submitted by the child’s parent using the link below. At this point, we will require the parent to complete a short form, submitting and approving the entry as well as agreeing to the Terms and Conditions.
- If you have any trouble typing, please consider using something like “Word Dictate” or equivalent – it can make it much easier!
- The competition is open from January 31st 2022.
- The deadline is 30th April 2022.
- Winners will be announced 31st May 2022!
- A book voucher will be awarded to the winner from each category.
- ‘Gold’ Certificates will be awarded to the top 5 finalists from each category.
- ‘Silver’ Certificates will be awarded to the next top 5 candidates from each category.
- ‘Bronze’ Certificates will be awarded to all children who enter the competition, as they thoroughly deserve to be rewarded for their hard work!
CREATIVE WRITING COURSES
We run popular online 12-week Creative Writing Courses for children in years 2-6. Within these classes, children are taught new vocabulary as well as a range of writing skills to help unlock their creative minds and feel confident about writing!
We also run an 11+ Comprehension Course, an 11+ Interview Practice Workshop and HomeSchooling Classes. Last but not least, we have a wonderful team of tutors to support your child on a 1:1 basis.
CREATIVE WRITING BOOK
#Number 1 Best Seller on Amazon!
Creative Writing Skills is a creative writing book for children, designed to give children the tools and confidence needed to produce fantastic short stories. It is perfect for Key Stage Two and Key Stage Three children (7-14 years old), as well as those sitting an entrance school examination such as the 11 plus.