In collaboration with children’s author, Alex Milway, and to celebrate our Creative Writing Skills book hitting Amazon, we are thrilled to announce our 2nd annual Creative Writing Competition for children!
The competition is open to all children who are residents of the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) from ages 7-13 (Years 3-8).
Write a 500-word story, which starts with the sentence, “There was no doubt about it, I would have to go back.”
Group 1: 7-9 year olds (Years 3 and Year 4 children)
Group 2: 9-11 year olds (Years 5 and Year 6 children)
Group 3: 11-13 year olds (Years 7 and Year 8 children)
The first round will be judged by a selection of creative writing specialists.
We are thrilled to announce that the final round will be judged by the wonderful author and illustrator, Alex Milway. Alex Milway is the author of the fantastic Hotel Flamingo series, suitable for 5-8 year olds. He recently released the e-book, “Hotel Flamingo: Life in Lockdown” which can be downloaded for free here. His new book, “Big Sky Mountain” will be released on June 10th 2021 and is available for pre-ordering here!
Terms and Conditions:
- The entry must be a fictional short story.
- It must be an original piece of work written independently by the child.
- Stories cannot be written by more than one person. One entry per child allowed.
- Real events from the past or present cannot be included.
- The child must not include their personal details within their story.
- Entries must not include unsuitable material; entries must be suitable for a child audience.
- The story must start with the sentence “There was no doubt about it, I would have to go back.” The rest is up to you!
- It must be no more than 500 words.
How to Enter:
- The story must be submitted by the child’s parent using the link below. At this point, we will require the parent to complete a short form, submitting and approving the entry as well as agreeing to the Terms and Conditions.
- If your child cannot type their story, you are welcome to scan their handwritten story and email it to email@example.com. Please complete the online form as well, using the link below, and add to the form that you have emailed the story separately by email.
- The competition is open from January 31st 2021.
- The deadline for entry submission is midnight April 30th 2021.
- We have some wonderful prizes donated by UK businesses!
- The author of Hotel Flamingo, Alex Milway, will read out the winning stories which will be available to view and share via our YouTube channel!
- We will also publish the three winning entries in our Creative Writing Skills book!
Little Leopard Book Club
Little Leopard Book Club have donated two Roald Dahl Gift Sets. The sets feature brand new colour editions of the nation’s best loved books:
Roald Dahl Best Sellers Gift Set (Matilda, The Magic Finger, The Twits, The Witches)
Roald Dahl Favourites Gift Set (The BFG, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, Danny, the Champion of the World)
Mud & Bloom
Mud & Bloom have donated one of their boxes.
Mud & Bloom boxes include everything you need for four seasonal gardening and nature craft activities along with nature news, spotting activities and games to teach children about animals, plants, insects, birds and the seasons. Our seeds are certified organic and biodynamic wherever possible. We also provide organic peat free compost pellets in each box so you can get planting immediately.
Role Models have donated 3 Online Sessions.
Role Models is an award winning impact driven education provider, focusing on life skills that promote social & emotional wellbeing and dynamic thinking. We complement traditional academic education by delivering both online and offline courses and sessions for children aged 3-15 that develop skills in leadership, confidence, resilience, creative problem solving, collaboration and growth mindset.
Aquila has offered a 4 month subscription.
AQUILA Children’s Magazine is the ultimate read for inquisitive kids. Full of exuberant articles and challenging puzzles for the whole family, every issue covers science, history and general knowledge. AQUILA is a quality production, beautifully illustrated with contemporary artwork throughout.
KidsArt! have donated two online art sessions.
KidsArt! provides art and art appreciation classes for children aged 4-12, plus school holiday art camps, parties, private classes and trips to art galleries. Children learn to paint and draw, use a wide range of media, produce beautiful artwork and make new friends. Classe are online and in studio.
Author Alex Milway
As well as judging the final round of the competition, Alex Milway will read out the winning stories which will be available to view and share via our YouTube channel! Alex Milway is the author of the wonderful Hotel Flamingo series and has a new book “Big Sky Mountain” out in Spring 2021.
CREATIVE WRITING COURSES
We run popular online 12-week Creative Writing Courses for children in years 2-6. Within these classes, children are taught new vocabulary as well as a range of writing skills to help unlock their creative minds and feel confident about writing!
CREATIVE WRITING BOOK
Creative Writing Skills is designed for any child striving to develop their creative writing skills. It is particularly aimed at Key Stage Two children, including those sitting an entrance school examination such as the 11 plus as well as home-schooled children. The book is a combination of textbook and workbook. After learning about each technique, there is an activity for the child to work through, to consolidate their understanding. Currently on sale on Amazon for £10.99!