In collaboration with children’s author, Alex Milway, we are thrilled to announce our 2nd annual Creative Writing Competition for children!
The competition is open to all children who are residents of the UK (including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) from ages 7-13 (Years 3-8).
Write a 500-word story, which starts with the sentence, “There was no doubt about it, I would have to go back.’”
Group 1: 7-9 year olds (Years 3 and Year 4 children)
Group 2: 9-11 year olds (Years 5 and Year 6 children)
Group 3: 11-13 year olds (Years 7 and Year 8 children)
The first round will be judged by a selection of creative writing specialists.
We are thrilled to announce that the final round will be judged by the wonderful author and illustrator, Alex Milway. Alex Milway is the author of the fantastic Hotel Flamingo series, suitable for 5-8 year olds. He recently released the e-book, “Hotel Flamingo: Life in Lockdown” which can be downloaded for free here. His new book, “Big Sky Mountain” will be released on June 10th 2021 and is available for pre-ordering here!
Terms and Conditions:
- The entry must be a fictional short story.
- It must be an original piece of work written independently by the child.
- Stories cannot be written by more than one person. One entry per child allowed.
- Real events from the past or present cannot be included.
- The child must not include their personal details within their story.
- Entries must not include unsuitable material; entries must be suitable for a child audience.
- The story must start with the sentence “There was no doubt about it, I would have to go back.” The rest is up to you!
- It must be no more than 500 words.
How to Enter:
- The story must be submitted by the child’s parent using the link below. At this point, we will require the parent to complete a short form, submitting and approving the entry as well as agreeing to the Terms and Conditions.
- If your child cannot type their story, you are welcome to scan their handwritten story and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please complete the online form as well, using the link below, and add to the form that you have emailed the story separately by email.
- The competition is open from January 31st 2021.
- The deadline for entry submission is midnight April 30th 2021.
- National Book Tokens will be awarded to the winners! £10 each for the three 1st places, £5 each to the 2nd and 3rd places.
- The author of Hotel Flamingo, Alex Milway, will read out the winning stories which will be available to view and share via our YouTube channel!
CREATIVE WRITING COURSES
We run popular online 12-week Creative Writing Courses for children in years 2-6. Within these classes, children are taught new vocabulary as well as a range of writing skills to help unlock their creative minds and feel confident about writing!
CREATIVE WRITING BOOK
Creative Writing Skills is designed for any child striving to develop their creative writing skills. It is particularly aimed at Key Stage Two children, including those sitting an entrance school examination such as the 11 plus as well as home-schooled children. The book is a combination of textbook and workbook. After learning about each technique, there is an activity for the child to work through, to consolidate their understanding. Currently on sale on Amazon for £10.99!